Sunday, June 12, 2016

New beginnings

New beginnings.  

Those are two heavy words aren't they. They are filled with expectation, excitement, joy...but also with fear, doubt and panic.

I feel all these things.

I am a woman and I multitask. 

Even feelings and emotions.






I am getting ahead of myself now. 

Long before this, there was another, lingering, annoying feeling. Longing.

The longing to have a different life. Longing to find my purpose.

Do you sometimes get the feeling that you are somehow wasting your life?

I certainly did. 




But, like anything in life, I needed a nudge.

I am lazy after all, and I had a comfortable life.

5 years ago, I got my nudge. Well, it was less of a nudge and more like a bulldozer making its way across my life.

I was pregnant.

It was going to be a girl. A girl, looking up to me. Me as a role model. Me, shaping her personality, her confidence, her future.

I have to go lie down.




Which I did. And think. And panic.

Excerpt of my innermost thoughts :

"I am not a good example.  I am wasting my life. I am not good at anything! What kind of mom am I going to be?"

and

"Am I enough?"




That is when I started baking. 

I can't say why it was baking and not sewing, opening an online party supply shop, getting online classes to become ______ (insert any trade here).

I talked myself into the idea of this being something like a real goal, fairly quickly into starting. I guess the instinct part of my brain took over entirely, not letting me doubt for a second.

Baking. I never baked. Why baking??

It started with cupcakes, but quickly turned into a cookie decorating obsession, with occasional dipping into the cake pop world. Cakes were far away from my mind, I felt cakes were too difficult, too important. 

What if I produce a complete cake wreck for someone's special day?? I couldn't live with that.





My girl, Lily, was born and was the perfect baby. She slept and slept while mommy practiced and practiced. 

It was about 6 months until I started my Facebook page. And it wasn't long before I actually got orders. 

Facebook was, by far, the biggest help for me starting my business. It helped me connect to other bakers, it helped me see what others were doing, thus pushing me to get better. 

And strangers were even ordering things from me! (I still can't believe that...)




In June 2012, I made my very first cake. And it wasn't for someone I knew. I told her I had never made one, but she wanted a cake, and she even told me she had total confidence that it would be good.

I didn't charge her for it, because I didn't know what I was doing... 

But it wasn't bad at all! If I do say so myself, for a first cake ever...

First cake




A few months later I made Lily's first birthday cake and at the end of the year I had two other orders.

By summer 2013, I was almost only making cakes.

It took over my life. I spent all my free time looking through the internet for tutorials, ideas... I found everything I needed and more. 

Thank you world wide web.





I had found my passion. I had found what I was good at. 

Because even if I am not the most confident person on the planet, I believe I am good at this. I spend a lot of time and energy developing my own style, finding the right colors and trying to make my customers happy.

Though not everyone is always happy.

I am still just a person. And I can't please everyone. 

I wish I could though. And I wish everyone knew and understood what type of person that I am. I genuinely want everyone to be happy. I don't lie or try to hide things. I want people to see that I try my best with every creation.




So for the last few years, I have been creating. Teaching. 

But also otherwise working. Part-time jobs, and part-time cakes, full-time mom and housewife. Overtime stress and fatigue.

It was time for another type of new beginning. Not just finding my passion. 

Living it.

So I quit my part-time job.

And just weeks later, I found a cake studio. Coincidence? I prefer to call it fate. Somehow it gives me more confidence to think it was meant to be, that everything would be ok.





So, unless something unforeseen gets in the way, I have now baked my last cake ever, at home.

I am embarking on the last step of my new beginning. 

Complete independence. 

Joy! 

Mixed with fear of course. But that's part of growing. You can't grow, change or become better if you only go the safe path.

This is me, taking the scary path. So bye bye home kitchen. 




Hello cake studio! 

Be kind and patient with me. I hope to do wonderful things with your help and I hope that being there will inspire me to grow and become better. Everyday.

Welcome new beginning.



7 comments:

  1. You are a great baker!! Your job is flawless and beaitiful! I also bake and never took a baking class, I have a cake recipe handed from my mother that used to bake, have taken tutorials and go to the internet and thank God I have clients the request my cakes. You have talent and that nobody can teach you. Good luck on your new cake studio, keep up the amazing work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Irma! I wish I had recipes handed down to me though, lol...I don't quite love the baking part though I do want the cakes to be tasty. It is always my biggest fear that people say, oh well, the cake looked good but was barely edible.
      That being said, let's keep on with it and hope to please as many people as we can :) Thank you very much for the encouragement!

      Delete
  2. You are so much like me but obviously much more brave. I am having the hardest time making that leap to the studio, even though I have customers lined up for months. It seems so difficult in my mind, but I'm sure it's not, and it's me subconsciously telling myself I can't ever make it. Like you I have little ones, but I guess I never considered who might look up to me, I guess I never really saw that perspective until right this minute when I read your blog post. I guess I better get some fire under feet! I wish you the best of luck and happiness in your new studio! I'm sure you will do awesome <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so much like me but obviously much more brave. I am having the hardest time making that leap to the studio, even though I have customers lined up for months. It seems so difficult in my mind, but I'm sure it's not, and it's me subconsciously telling myself I can't ever make it. Like you I have little ones, but I guess I never considered who might look up to me, I guess I never really saw that perspective until right this minute when I read your blog post. I guess I better get some fire under feet! I wish you the best of luck and happiness in your new studio! I'm sure you will do awesome <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Cake That! Sorry, I just saw your really nice comment just now.
    I am really really happy if I inspired you in any way to go for it! All I know is I have been seeing other cake makers (better or lesser), all starting with their own places, and I kept thinking, oh, I wish I could do that...where would I get the money? What if it doesn't work? Where can I even find a place??
    When I finally decided ok, enough is enough, I quit my job and I seriously got my place within weeks. It took a few more months of planning, preparing and spending (that is the most difficult part. In my case, my pension was enough to cover it-here in Switzerland you can use your pension to buy a house or to use for your own business). I finally have my place and I really like it. It will take time before things start up again (every time I take a break, I stop getting orders for about 1-2 months after, or only sporadically).
    At the end of the day, I am fast approaching my 40s, and now is the time to do it, also for my little girl to say, well, look, my mom was able to do it, with a child, with not that much money, and close to her 40s. That means I can do it too. Well, that is what I am hoping anyways :)
    So very very best of luck to you too! I bet you are already a great role model to your little ones and whatever you choose to do next will only change how you feel you are doing. They will keep thinking your are awesome (unless they are in that horrible mom is not cool phase...then you are doomed.) LOL!! <3

    ReplyDelete