Thursday, February 11, 2016

O Canada...and a beaver tutorial!

I was born in Canada, just outside of Montreal. I grew up there, went to school there, fell in and out of love there. I had my family and friends...

...and a feeling of national pride. To live in such a great, safe, beautiful country.





Not to mention we have one the cutest national animals, like ever!

Beavers.

What, I didn't want him to get cold!


We also have a pretty awesome national symbol.

The maple leaf.

People of less popular countries even stick it on their backpacks to get better treatment abroad. Not pointing any fingers... I get it. I like us too.

The maple tree (I realize my interpretation is botanically incorrect, but I don't care, I just wanted it to look cute) is not just absolutely gorgeous, especially in the fall, it also produces liquid gold. Ah, not REAL gold, but close enough! 

You haven't had REAL maple syrup if you are disputing this by the way.

Maple syrup. You can eat it with everything. This cake, incidentally, is a Maple Syrup cake with Maple Syrup Buttercream and Maple Sugar Chunks. Drool.

Plus, you can eat it on snow. 

How practical...since we have a lot of it in Canada.




I miss Canada, my family and friends, the gorgeous fall colours, our amazing maple syrup from Quebec. 


I don't miss the snow.




Beaver Tutorial :

Take some sugarpaste (I use Massa Ticino, best thing on earth), and mix it with CMC. 

The color for his belly is Autumn Leaf by Sugarflair.

Roll a ball into a teardrop and pass a skewer through it. Shape a tiny teardrop out of your golden sugar paste and roll it out flat.



Put it on the belly with a bit of water.
(You can add a belly button if you wish)

Roll up two tiny balls into teardrops for the arms.

Roll up two slightly larger balls using your small finger to make an indentation over the foot. Flatten the shape and pinch the toes. Stick on the side of the body.


Roll up a nice sized ball for the head. Make indentations using your cone tool for the eyes. Fill with a tiny ball of black sugarpaste.

Roll two tiny balls and fasten them to the side of the head using the small side of your ball tool.

Roll a cylinder of the golden sugarpaste and use your dresden tool to make a line through the middle and little holes where the whiskers would be.

Roll up a tiny ball of white sugarpaste into a teardrop shape and make an indentation along the front with your dresden tool.



Last but not least, dye your brown sugarpaste with Dark Brown from Sugarflair. Roll out flat and roll over with a weave rolling pin.

Cut out the shape and size you like, with a pizza cutter.




Stick everything on, and voilà! A cute beaver!

You'll feel Canadian instantly!

Thanks for reading!

xx

No comments:

Post a Comment