Sunday, February 7, 2016

My inspiration

I have a lovely client who has trusted me to make her Nonna's birthday cake 3 years in a row. It has been a pleasure... 

...and a bit of a dread.

Every year, I have had sleepless nights thinking about how to make it, so that it is clean and classic, not too flashy or silly, and especially, not old fashioned! 

(The pressure all those voices in my head put on me is just stifling really)




But the thing is, it's not JUST a cake now, is it? It's a token of appreciation... a way of letting the person know that you love them.

But I don't know this Nonna, I don't know how to show her love.

So I calm down and I think of my favorite grandmother...Lily's Grand-Maman, my mom.

The best person I know. 

And I think, how would I make this cake if it were for her? How would I let her know how much I love her? 



And so, every year, despite my panic attacks, a cake is made.




And every year, Nonna is happy.

And why not, I had the best possible inspiration. 

xx





Here is how I made the heart, in case you are interested :)

I bent 2 pieces of 18 Gauge Wire, which I then covered in brown florist tape.




I then used my Sugarcraft gun (One of my favorite tools of all time) to squeeze out some Sugarpaste snakes.



I stuck those under and over the wire shape, twisting them in areas, to give it a bit of a tangled branches effect.

I then squeezed out thinner snakes to wrap the ends with. You don't need those, but I think they give it a more finished look.


I let it dry and then airbrushed it dark brown and added some gold leaf effects.

Hope this helps!




No comments:

Post a Comment